My name is Steve AuBuchon. These are my thoughts on various topics. I hope you are intrigued. I hope it makes you wonder. I hope it makes you question what you think and why you think it. Most of all, I hope you enjoy what you read. I'm interested in your response.


Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reverse Discrimination Does Not Exist

When I moved to Alabama 16 years ago, I was confronted for the first time with obvious, unashamed white people who discriminated against black people. Though I found this disturbing, I was familiar with the problem and wasn’t surprised that I found it here. What shocked me then, and continues to surprise me is the pervasiveness of black people who are obviously prejudiced against white people. This latter practice is known by the euphemism, “Reverse Discrimination”.


But there is no such thing as “Reverse” discrimination. “Reverse discrimination” is a term invented by the politically correct to advance an agenda which promotes black against white prejudice. The very name implies that white against black discrimination is the standard, normal, or common form of discrimination and is unacceptable, and that black against white “reverse” discrimination is acceptable because it reverses, combats, or nullifies white against black discrimination.

I have actually heard black people tell me that it is not possible for a black person to be prejudiced, that their condition as a black person precludes the possibility of prejudice. These people believe that by virtue of their skin color alone, black people are incapable of prejudice and white people are not only capable of it but that discrimination is expected of them because they are white.

Several years ago, I had an interesting conversation with a very nice black lady that I worked with. She related a story to me about a white friend of hers that she had invited over to her house one evening along with some other friends. This lady was the only white person there. All the other guests were black. At some point this white lady used the term “my nigga” and all conversation stopped. She was informed that she could not use that term, because only black people may use it to other black people.

I pointed out to my co-worker that I thought that was a prejudiced attitude to take. My co-worker disagreed stating that it was perfectly normal and appropriate for black people to refer to other black people as “my nigga”, but that it was inappropriate and offensive for white people to us it. I tried to convince her pointing out that “nigga” was but a mispronunciation of “nigger” and no better than “nigger” and that no one should use that term regardless of their skin color. I also stated that restricting a person’s speech based on their skin color was wrong no matter what color their skin was.

She replied that “nigga” was not the same as “nigger”, because “nigger” is a derogatory term used by whites toward blacks and “nigga” was a term used by blacks toward other blacks, so it cannot be derogatory. She indicated that I just didn’t understand (presumably because I was white). She also said (and at this point began to become irritated) that it was not the same as a black person calling a white person “cracker” or some other epithet, that black people cannot be prejudiced toward whites.

In another incident, a black co-worker had “100% Nigger” tattooed on his forearm. Clearly he was not attempting to denigrate himself, but was making a statement of solidarity with other blacks. But because he used a term that whites are not allowed to us for fear of being ostracized as a racist, he is himself making a racist comment. If the roles were reversed, if a white person had tattooed “white power” on his forearm, the white person would have been branded as a racist. But he apparently sees nothing wrong with it .

These are but a few examples I have encountered personally where it has become acceptable for black people to think and act prejudicially toward white people. In each instance, if the skin colors were reversed, the white people would have been labeled bigots.

The distinction between discrimination and “reverse” discrimination should never be made. If you judge someone based on the color of their skin (or any other inherent characteristic for that matter) rather than on the content of their character, you are a bigot, plain and simple, and it does not matter a whit what color your skin is. “Reverse” discrimination does not exist.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

With ya on this one. It's crazy how often you encounter this mindset. If you could just change your prodestant posting, I could really get behind your blog, lol;-)
I'm still working on a defense, but I'm thinking that is a conversation best had in person. Partly because I don't have the time to sit and type it, and partly because I like instant feedback;-) We'll have to all get together sometime soon!

Darbi said...

I agree 100%. Racism is racism. Calling it by a different name doesn't make it any different. You should try living in Memphis!!!!